Lakewood Family Birthplace
The birth of your child is one of the most important and exciting days of your life. The TMC Lakewood Family Birthplace is here to give you the best possible care from the moment you discover you are expecting to the day you enter our doors to deliver your baby… and afterwards, as you care for your newborn at home. We are dedicated to ensuring your baby will have a happy, healthy beginning.
Your peace of mind and comfort are as important to us as they are to you. You will stay in a large, 400-square-foot, private birthing suite, complete with an en-suite bathroom, designed in soothing and relaxing colors and décor. The unit is designed to meet your specific needs. In true LDRP style, or single-room maternity care, your peaceful, comfortable room will be transformed into a state-of-the-art delivery environment with the most advanced delivery equipment in maternity care today.
Babies are our most precious assets, and keeping them safe and secure is of utmost importance. The Lakewood Family Birthplace has a state-of the art infant security system that includes:
- Abduction prevention, which monitors all routes leading away from protected areas.
- Automatic linking of mother and infant, which prevents the possibility of mistaken identity.
- Additionally, TMC Lakewood’s security staff is on-site around the clock and makes frequent rounds/security checks on the unit.
Affiliated Physicians, Nurse Mid-Wives and Nurse Practitioners
• Breastfeeding Classes 816-404-8260
• OB Patient Navigator 816-404-8281
Expectant parents are encouraged to tour the birthing center prior to delivery. An OB nurse will answer questions and provide a preview of the new center. Please call and schedule a tour at 816-404-BABY.
TMC Lakewood Family Birthplace is a Blue Distinction Center+
This national designation program recognizes facilities that demonstrate expertise in delivering quality specialty care safely, effectively, and cost efficiently.
The TMC Lakewood Family Birthplace will provide the optimum in family-centered birthing services for your special delivery. Our new 19,290 square foot facility features -
- 19 beautiful Labor-Delivery-Recovery-Postpartum (LDRP) suites.rooms. Each private suite features a picturesque view of the Lakewood grounds.
- New families can remain in the same room throughout their stay. New moms may opt to use the traditional Hill-Rom delivery bed throughout the course of their stay or, after delivery, move to queen-sized Murphy Beds for more home-like comfort.
- Two dedicated operating rooms.
- An upgraded four-bed patient triage area to provide privacy and quiet in the early stages of labor.
- A large nursery with a separate special-care nursery for privacy with the newborn or sick babies.
- Flat-screen TV and Wi-Fi in all rooms
- A spa with a jetted tub for early labor and after-delivery comfort.
- Fetal monitor telemetry to allow mom to walk during labor.
- A birthing ball, great for relieving discomfort during pregnancy and labor..
- Special front-open gowns, designed to provide full coverage and comfort to mom.
- Epidural pain management is available 24/7.
This is a joyous time in your life. We encourage your family to be involved in your delivery experience. At TMC Lakewood, we believe dads are important, too, and they are welcome to visit any time. We also have generous visiting hours for siblings, extended family and friends after your baby is born.
Since we want to help keep your newborn healthy and happy, we encourage visitors who are not well to delay their visit. And, to help you continue to feel your best, we recommend visits be limited to 30 minutes to allow for as much rest as possible.
Questions or concerns? Your admitting nurse will be happy to help you.
Visitors are welcome daily from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Classes for Parents
All new moms are encouraged to take advantage of classes available to assist them in caring for their newborn at home.
Discharge education classes are held daily.
A lactation consultant is on-site daily to support mom and assist with breast-feeding concerns prior to discharge.
Group classes and peer- group support classes are available as well.
Breast Feeding Basics
Breast Feeding Basics teaches the benefits of breastfeeding and what to expect during baby’s first days.
Classes are held the second Thursday of each month, from 11:30 to 12:30 in the Summit Woods Conference Room
Register by calling 816-404-8260.
Terrific Moms Club
Terrific Moms Club (TMC) provides a support group for nursing mothers. Held each Thursday from 12:30 pm – 2 pm in the boardroom next to the cafeteria at TMC Lakewood, these classes help nursing mothers benefit from the expertise of a Certified Lactation Consultant and gives them an opportunity to discuss shared concerns.
Birth Classes are held the first three Tuesdays of every month from 7 to 9 pm in the TMC Lakewood Education Center.